Monday, January 17, 2011

Adjusting to home life

January 15
Today Cameron and I ran errands together. Perhaps because we’re still bonding, he didn’t freak out when I left him in the car; perhaps he’s just more relaxed when it comes to things like that.  Anyway, he was totally relaxed while I left him in the car, not so much  when I brought him into PetSmart, although it’s still totally exciting that I can take him into PetSmart and not have him think that small dogs are chew toys.  After that we went to school, which I thought would be no big deal, but even the doors freaked him out there.  We had to try three different doors before he’d follow me in, and then he didn’t like my classroom door either.
Tonight he’s laying on the sofa next to me, totally relaxed, and earlier when Elizabeth offered him toys, he just watched her instead of jumping off the sofa like he’s done all week.  It’s really interesting watching a dog fresh off the track adjust to a home.  Unlike a week ago, he now handles the stairs and doggy door like a pro, eats in front of us now, and slept at the foot of the bed last night.  Then he’ll refuse to go out the front door on leash, or the back door, or some other simple thing that I took for granted with the other dogs, and I remember that he’s only been in his forever home for a week.  What will surprise him tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment